Direct Mail Production Manager
- Burlingame, CA
- Full Time
Lahlouh’s business model is built on solving end to end supply chain problems not simply processing transactional print orders. Lahlouh is a partner that focuses on developing collaborative, comprehensive solutions that endeavor to meet all the communication needs of our clients’ dynamic and evolving marketplaces.
Lahlouh's mission is to provide the highest quality, most cost-effective business communications solutions available.
Core capabilities include:
• Sheet-fed offset print
• Fulfillment / Distribution logistics
• Dynamic digital print
• Packaging Design
• Mail production and USPS preparation.
• Marketing promotions
• Full service bindery and assembly
• Online Solutions
Position: Direct Mail Production Manager
Reports to: VP of Manufacturing
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location/Shift:Burlingame, CA / Day Shift
The Mail Production Manager is responsible for all aspects of direct mail print production. In this role you will collaborate with Sales, Project Managers, internal teams, and our clients to manage the planning, production and execution of high-volume, high-mix data-driven direct mail campaigns. This position requires a strong knowledge and understanding of print manufacturing, direct mail, and USPS regulations in a fast-paced production environment. The Mail Production Manager leads, mentors, trains, and coaches the mailing and data processing department team members to produce quality products in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective manner. Key to the success of this position requires a strong working knowledge of mail processing equipment, USPS mailing regulations, proper use of all electronic data communications, and the ability to develop a good working relationship with the local USPS representatives. This individual should have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels. This position is suitable for the highest level candidate or a mid-level individual which has exceptional potential. **Relocation assistance available for the right candidate**
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain and monitor department schedules.
- Hold daily departmental meeting with key staff.
- Serve as a trainer in monthly meetings with company-wide employees regarding departmental and company related processes, procedural changes as well as USPS updates as they relate to the company and its clients.
- Coordinate departmental activities including material, supplies, etc. setup and maintain an efficient workflow with appropriate quality control.
- Coordinate equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Monitor Mailing Department inventory and create purchase requisitions to replenish inventory.
- Meet company and departmental standards, including Customer Requirements, Compliance, Safety, Quality, etc.
- Create and maintain Mail and DP department specifications, processes, and work instructions.
- Execute all employee management administration to include hire, mentor, review, terminate as required.
- Manage and report all department metrics and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), to drive department performance.
Mail Management Responsibilities
- Serve as Lahlouh’s expert on mail piece design per USPS guidelines, and regulations & advise Production teams accordingly – including cost and timing implications.
- Review job bluelines for USPS mailing compliance per USPS DMM regulations.
- Participate in equipment and/or software evaluations and recommendations.
- Ensure Data Processing team is maintaining expected regular cleansing of mailing list data using appropriate processing software e.g. BCC, CASS, NCOA, and Postal Presort.
- Demonstrate the necessary knowledge of USPS Postal Regulations and ensure Lahlouh is keeping up to date to USPS changes.
- Depth in understanding of all classes of mail, Drop Shipment Procedures, International Mailings, Certified Mail, Permit Application, Mail Piece Design processes, Co-mingling, Co-Palletization, etc.
- Review and recommend Postal documentation preparation enhancements in line with USPS standards to avoid errors and/or rejections on mailing.
- Effectively communicate mail list concerns/issues with, Sales, PM, Production, DP and Pre-Press staff and/or customers in a professional manner as needed.
- Regularly attend and participate in regional mail forums such as the Postal Consumer Council.
- Maintain an excellent relationship with Regional and Local USPS representatives.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 5 years relevant management experience.
- 5 years of prior work experience involved with USPS postal regulations, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of, or experience with, Direct Mail software (e.g. AccuZip/BCC Mail Manager, Window Book) highly desirable.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- Previous experience performing or overseeing several of the following areas highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Postal DMM – Domestic Mail Manual.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Mail.Dat files.
- Performed Uploads Mail.Dat files to USPS PostalOnesystem.
- Prepared USPS forms including USPS Postage Statements, and other postal forms.
- Worked closely with accounting to acquire postal checks.
- Acquired USPS Postal Permits for customers as necessary.
- Coordinated USPS pickups as necessary.
- Coordinated USPS Postage Transfers between permits as necessary.
- Provided PM / Sales with USPS Tracking Reports as necessary.
- Worked with USPS to acquire Plant Load, Co-Pal, Authorizations as necessary
- Data Manipulation: MS SQL, MS Access, MS Windows
- Postal Presorting: BCC Mail Manager, USPS PostalOne!, UPS Worldship, FedEx Ship Manager.
- Postal Post-Presort Editing: DAT-MAIL, Monticello, and Mail.dat edits.
- Used presort software to process mailing lists. This includes importing data, CASS certification, duplicate removal, NCOA, presorting, prepare documentation for the USPS, and export data for production
• Bachelor's degree in business management, or related field is preferred.
• Professional Certifications in Discounted Mail Preparation, LEAN and 5S very desirable.
• Commensurate with experience.